Kingston University along with the British Council in Athens opens to all writers worldwide the call for the writing contest until the 30th of June. Short stories will be judged by Hilary Mantel, the English writer and only woman twice awarded with the Booker Prize
1st Prize of £3,000.
Two Runners-up Prizes of £500 each.
The winner will also have the opportunity to have his/her work considered for publication by Kingston University Press.
Shortlisted and winning stories will be published in a Winners Anthology.
Entry fee £10 per story
5000 words maximum
Submissions accepted from May 1 to June 30 2014
Instructions and elegibility
- Open to all writers worldwide.
- Stories entirely the work of the entrant.
- Writen in English. Translation into English of your own work also accepted.
- Anonymous entries. Your name should not appear anywhere on the submitted story.
- Stories unpublished in any form, including online.
- Stories cannot have won prizes or been placed (as in 1st, 2nd or 3rd) in other competitions.
- You can enter as many stories as you like as long as the £10 per story fee is paid for each story submitted.
- A maximun of 5,000 words, no minimum. Include word count on top right of opening page. Title is not included in word count.
- 12 point, any readable font.
- Number of pages in the footer /bottom of pages.
- Copyright of each entry remains with the author but Kingston University Press will have unrestricted right to publish the winning and shortlisted stories in the Winners Anthology and in any relevant promotional work.
- See http://fass.kingston.ac.uk/writing/competitions/ for information on how to enter online or email email@example.com
- For postal entries, please send a copy of your story and a cover letter including name and contact details (please put no personal details on the actual story), along with a cheque made payable to Kinston University, to Hilary Mantel Short Story Competition, EM 3004, Kingston University, Penrhyn Road, Kinsgton, KT1 2EE.